Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Feeling Discouraged? Don't Be! Take This Quiz Instead! (Hey, It is back to school time, right?!)


"Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God." Psalm 42:11

I began this summer very discouraged. Probably more so than any other time in my life. I ended this summer uplifted and full of hope. What happened over the course of those weeks to change my outlook? Read on.....

The storms of life will touch everyone. I've come to expect them...even embrace them. But rolling storms right on top of another AND types I hadn't even thought of...I did not expect. I learned quickly how very weak I am. I prayed...I read scripture...I fasted...prayed more...and felt very much out of control. God graciously arranged time away for me. Yes, I had the girls. It was important for me (even taking care of 3 little girls, and friends :)) that I not squander the time God had given and quickly immersed myself in study. Without question the Word of God is the standard and source for all of life. It helped me immensely. In addition to this I was prompted to begin a study of individuals who had spoken to my heart at different stages of my life. I revisited the lives and writings of Corrie Ten Boom, Hudson Taylor, Isobel Khun, Elisabeth Elliot, Amy Carmichael and Joni Eareckson. These are/were normal human beings....weak and frail just like you and me. But they were (are) mighty in heart for God. Anyone you admire as being 'great' in ministry has no doubt walked through the fires of affliction countless times over. These are no exception.
What did they do when they didn't know what to do? Elisabeth Elliot's husband was brutally murdered on the mission field and left her with an infant daughter. She kept journals and records of it all not realizing that her life story would walk countless numbers of others through their own set of circumstances years later. Her example of response to Christ gave me hope and spurred me on. Corrie Ten Boom spent years in a German concentration camp during WWII. These circumstances I can't relate to....yet the underlying theme of all their writings is 'joy in the Lord'. How? Because when stripped of everything else, they came to know and understand beyond all measure the prize. And they ran their race well. They came to an understanding within their own hearts of how very small we are as the created, and how very big God is. I attempted the best I could to put myself in their shoes in whatever situation they were currently writing about, and inevitably....they took you back to the cross. I learned God does have a plan...no matter what you're facing....and it's for your good. (Duh, right? Just try saying that when you're living in Auschwitz. Or facing life without your spouse. Or perhaps your current circumstance.) Our afflictions are just the tool God uses to refine our hearts to mold us into his image. We don't get to pick them. But he does love us beyond all measure ...because scripture says so ....and these individuals lived it. It gave me hope that I can perservere too, always looking up. When you pray to be more like Christ, many times those prayers are answered by his sending affliction your way. E. Elliot says " The deepest lessons come out of the deepest waters and the hottest fires....Find a quiet place. Be quiet. Ask God to help you look entirely away from the visible to the invisible. Look away from the transitory to the permanent."

She also says, "A quiet heart can only be gotten in quietness." I find this kind of ironic (ok, not kind of..very) because our life is anything but quiet. But your heart and countenance can be- and a quiet heart is NOT dependent on circumstances......but a steady, unwavering faith in God. It's radical obedience 24/7. I learned that on the darkest of days and the coldest of nights there is hope. How? Because I know the one who wrote the definition.

Are our circumstances different today? Yes, very. And for the better. (thank you , God!!) , but it was my heart that had to make a change first. God knew just what I needed and when I needed it. It wasn't fun....but necessary for the race He's laid before me. I want to run it well, and have a heart that's been proven by the refiners fire.

Now, here's your quiz; Let me know if you think you know who it is. I'll be back with the answer soon !

Think you have trouble? Compare your list with one famous man's.

1. He had a difficult childhood.

2. Less than one year of formal schooling.

3. Failed in business at age 22.

4. Defeated for legistature at 23.

5. Failed again in business at 24.

6. Elected to legislature at 24.

7. His fiancee died when he was 26.

8. Defeated for speaker at age 29.

9. Defeated for electorate at 31.

10. At 33 married a woman who became a burden, not a help.

11. Only one of four sons lived past the age of 18.

12. Defeated for congress at 34

13. Elected for congress at 37.

14. Defeated for congress at 39.

15. Defeated for senate at 46.

16. Defeated for vice president at 47.

17. Defeated for senate at 49.

18. Finally elected president.

(any ideas? I'll reveal the answer soon!!)


"A spirit of calm contentment always accompanies true godliness. The deep peace that comes from deep trust in God's lovingkindness is not destroyed even by the worst of circumstances, for those Everlasting Arms are still cradling us, we are always 'under the mercy'". E. Elliot.


Now, rest in God's perfect peace for the rest of the day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm, I want to say Abraham Lincoln. =)

The rest of your words were definitely encouraging! I'm glad my circumstances don't even begin to compare with some of the others who have gone on before us, but it is helpful to know that God still cares even when I'm in the midst of "little" trials.

Medana22 said...

Alright, this was good. Thank you:)

Tammy said...

I'm think it is Abraham Lincoln as well.

This is a very encouraging post. I'm finding that I really have a choice, to embrace what comes before me or to reject it. My desire is to glorify God in everything. It is not always easy but I need to run the race. I want to finish strong.

Debi Walter said...

I'm thinking it's Abe Lincoln too. Thank you, Cissy, for reminding us once again of why we persevere in all things - the good and bad. Because God is good, and we can trust Him.

Katherine Peschau said...

I haven't answered because I did not want to look like a dork, but my answer when I first read this was Abe Lincoln. So now that I am not the only one who thinks that is my answer :) Thanks for reminding me to get my eyes off myself and to remember that I have something to hope in. Look forward to seeing you on Sunday! Have a great weekend!