Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Meet Jane and Hermie!



Curious? Keep reading. This year Leni started Kindergarten, at home. Since it's been awhile for me, (my older 2 were homeschooled as well.....and for those of you who don't understand it, it does NOT mean you keep them in their rooms and throw bread under the door :), nor does it mean that they will not have social skills, or can only interact with hamsters:)....) Anyway, I did alot of research on what's new in the homeschool market and found out...alot is. However after hours of study, I came back to my "roots" -strong academics using fantastic literature, mixed with a strong Christian worldview. We're a very academic family anyway, and believe we have a responsibility to develop our children's minds/bodies for Gods glory as long as they are in our care. We don't take the easy way nor the most entertaining. We feel a great responsibility as we shape these little "arrows" to out into the world. It's our job to get them ready. We take our schooling most seriously. However, we do have lots of fun within the established framework set in place. We chose AGAIN....Sonlight Curriculum. I love, love, love Sonlight. Can't say enough about it. We used it way back when with the older two, and here we are again. There is no 'put it in, spit information back out' mentality, just to get your requirements in and so mommy can be done and on to "her" stuff. For me, this is my priority. I also cringe at kids sitting in front of workbooks all day. I encourage (then and now) our children to be hands-on-learners, moving around throughout the day. We don't want their brains and mine dulled by rote, uninteresting lists of "stuff". (Does anybody?!)
Sonlight (as we do) desires lifelong learners who are firm in their convictions and are not afraid to be strong thinkers and able to express themselves with educated/researched opinions. They're also very missions oriented so many of their stories center around past and current mission fields. (Our passion!) Their book selection is hands-down the best on the market! One of the tools they use that is fairly new is ,'Handwriting without Tears.' Leni needs a multi-sensory approach to her school day (she is our Sensory Integration Child), and this handwriting curriculum has them using wood pieces to make letters, water on chalkboards, playdough, salt, etc. , BEFORE they begin writing. It's awesome!! Anyway, they have you "name" your helping hand. Yes, actually give it a name so you can say "Look, ____ is here to help you today". As you can see, Leni named her helping hand Jane. Jane does alot for us. She holds paper, she helps us know which side of the paper to start on, and she is always our left hand. In a day, Leni knew left/right association. She has not messed up Left/right once since doing this!! Leni decided Jane needed a friend as well, so she named her dominant hand. His name is Hermie (such a Leni name!!) Anyway, Jane and Hermie spend the school day with us. They also help us clean our room, play on the playground, and wouldn't you know....they are pretty much with us all the time!! Wonders never cease!!
Of all 3 girls, Leni had the toughest beginning. We weren't sure how she would adjust to the academic world but Leni is doing AMAZING and we're so proud of her!! Here she is using Jane and Hermie in her Math lesson. You go girl!!
Thought for the Day: If interruptions annoy me, and private cares make me impatient; if I shadow the souls about me because I myself am shadowed, then I know nothing of Calvary love. ....Amy Carmichael "If "
(I'm preaching to myself here, everyone!! )
Green, in honor of pickles:) Pickle's penny still has not presented itself :( Scott told me to quit looking :) But why would I want to quit?! It's so much fun!!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

We've used Handwriting Without Tears with Josh in the past. He is now on his way to pretty good penmanship.
Way to go Leni! You are on your way too.

C said...

Glad to read this post. We have used Handwriting Without Tears to supplement for the last several years. I've been digging around on blogs to read more about Sonlight. Glad I found you!