Monday, June 8, 2009

Happy Birthday Mel!


I wanted to take the time to tell my extraordinary Daughter-in-law Happy Birthday and to explain why she is so dear to this family:) We knew Mel and her family for years as our first 'set' of kids were growing up. She is the oldest of 6(!) and the only girl. She and Jason first became interested each other on a medical mission trip to Bolivia.I can still remember my husband coming home from 2 weeks in the rugged conditions saying...."I'll bet Jason and Mel get married." I totally didn't see it and brushed him off. Well, here we are 6 years later and I couldn't be more delighted in my son's choice for a wife! She takes superb care of my son and delights in making a home for him. Equally is her care for our little buddy...Cade. He is the joy of their lives and ours as well. I'm amazed at how Mel tirelessly serves the "boys" in not only caring for but anticipating their needs (and wants!!). Her patience is remarkable!! I see her reaching out frequently to the ladies in her homegroup and wanting all to feel cared for as individuals...not just a body in a group. Mel is extremely organized and therefore through her example encourages others to pursue excellence in all things. Her heart for the Lord as she 'runs her race' is evident in the way she chooses to structure her time and days. I wish I had a 'blip' of her self-control and discipline! She has truly taught me to desire more of this in my life!! And last but not least....her care for our girlies and her in-law family. Mel goes above and beyond to include us and make us feel not like the 'married-into-side' but genuine friends. I love the relationship we have with this remarkable girl! So...thank you Mel for caring for our boys and us.....even in all the craziness of an unconventional family!! We love you very much and all you do to make our lives sweeter!

3 comments:

Melanie VanLue said...

Wow. Thank you! You made me cry. =) I love being apart of your family and am so grateful that it's not like some of the "in-law" horror stories you hear...you have always made me feel welcome and loved, and I'm so glad I got to marry your son. =)

Cyndi said...

Wow, that made ME cry too! Happy Birthday, Mel! We hope we get a chance to see you in July while we're in FL. Enjoy your special day!

The Croker Family
Cyndi, Bob and Malia

Jason said...

I'm so glad you got to marry me to.