Wednesday, April 1, 2009

And...We're Back At the Dentist!



This tale is going to require some background. Last May, we discovered cavities in Miss Katie Mei's mouth. Lots of 'em. We had yet to have a child to have ANY cavities...so the blame went to poor prenatal care and lack of nutrition in the early months of life.(Surely it couldn't be anything her parents had overlooked??!! J/k as I kept asking myself...."Geez, have I forgotten to brush the child's teeth in my getting-everyone-ready-for-bed mode??) We went to the pediatric dentist who suggested I.V. sedation...and then doing all her cavities at once. Well....to make a long story short...Katie had a seizure under anesthesia. She quit breathing and turned blue. Yep, it was very scary and took me a long time to recover from. This particular dentist wanted to put her in the hospital to finish her treatment which we have adamantly shied away from. Fast forward to now. After getting some other opinions...and letting her (and me) get over her trauma, we ventured back into 'dentist territory' yesterday. Would you believe a miracle occured? The remaining cavities are still there...but are not very bad at all...and wonder of all wonders....this child sat in the chair as still as still can be, opened her mouth on command, let them take x-rays, and never made a peep.(This was NOT the case before!!) Our friend "Don the Dentist" who had up until now not wanted to take us on because of age/size....said..."Hey! We can do this pretty easily. She may not even have to have local anesthesia!" I about fell out of my chair! Whoo-hoo! AND there is no sign of any new activity in there! Double WHOO-HOO! God has been faithful! We'll keep you posted as this little China doll gets a mouth re-do in the coming weeks!

1 comment:

The Brown Family said...

Thank you Lord!! Yesterday Miri said "Look Mom-- I've got a new tooth coming in!!" Sadly it's coming out above a baby tooth that's not even loose:(. We're off to the dentist on Saturday.

I'll tell Miri how brave Katie was!! I'm sure that'll encourage her!!