Sunday, December 14, 2008

A Neat Story for You....


We happened to be at our local mall the other night getting "Hotfuddays" at McDonalds right around closing time. We walked by the Chinese eatery when the people cleaning the counters and food noticed Katie. This woman came running out ..talking a mile a minute to Katie and us...while a 20 something Chinese man talked to me. I introduced us all around and asked them if they were indeed Chinese (they were) and if they were from China....(they were). The young man was so kind and polite...saying they were from outside Shanghai...and asking about Nanchang, where we met Katie for the first time. I then noticed his shirt. It said "Jesus Wept" complete with a picture of the cross and scripture reference below it. I asked if he were a Christian (affirmative) and if he had been a believer in China. He went on to explain to me that in China he was a member of the state run church and really didn't know what being a Christian was, until he came to the U.S. He then told me that many of his friends back in China were members of the ....and he pointed to the ground.....(pause). I jumped in and finished his sentence for him....and replied "the underground church". He seemed dumbfounded that this white lady in the mall would know anything about the Chinese underground...but we had quite a conversation about it:) He was genuinely amazed that someone NOT Chinese would have an interest in his country, and know details seemingly only Chinese christians were aware of about the status of their believers and ability to worship. He did say that many, many of his friends were still being persecuted and arrested on a regular basis, and would we continue to pray for China? Aaron (his American name) then turned his attention to Katie....and said how God had blessed her for bringing her out of China and into a Christian home in the USA. We couldn't agree more. After big tears in my eyes and thanking Aaron for his testimony to me that night...I was able to tell him some of our testimony with our girls and hopefully encourage him in his faith as well. His mom was the lady STILL holding Katie and speaking to her in Mandarin. I hated to break the news that Katie really, really doesn't like strangers (but Katie laughed and giggled at her..suprise, suprise...) and doesn't know a lick of Mandarin. All this at the food court of the mall. God works in mysterious ways...does he not??

So...during this busy Christmas season...would you please pause and pray for the persecuted around the world that won't have the opportunity to celebrate Christmas as we do? And...remember Aaron who is lifting up and encouraging his fellow Chinese christians in the Shanghai area....They need our prayers desperately! Yet another reminder this week of God's faithfulness in our lives and those around the world! You can read more about persecution in China and around the world here

And.....sorry to disappoint all of you who are still laughing at me...but I did NOT wear my pj's to the mall. It would've been nice though:)

5 comments:

The Brown Family said...

WOW- what an expression of kindness from the Lord. Yes- I will pray tonight. Thank you Lord for Aaron and sweet Katie!

Janelle Morrison said...

I LOVE IT!

So encouraging, Cissy.

I have a bracelet on my wrist that says "Pray for China" -english on one side, Chinese on the back. People ask me about it all the time. When they ask, it makes me think of you guys, and reminds me to pray.

Thanks for posting! I couldn't be reminded of the need to pray for China enough!

Jennifer Lightfoot said...

wow! i got goosebumps! that is so cool! i will definitely be looking for aaron and his mom next time i'm there!

...oh how i long to go...

Unknown said...

I too got the biggest goosebumbps reading this post. God is so good!

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

It has been a while since dropping by... hope life is treating you well... take care...