Saturday, May 9, 2009

Encouraging Words For Moms...


Mother's Day marks the third anniversary of Katie Mei's Gotcha Day. It's hard to believe that much time has gone by!! Last month we celebrated Leni's 7th Gotcha...and since Kristin came to us at birth....her's is every year on her February birthday. We pretty much have had children in every season of life these last 7 years...as when we adopted Leni, we had one in diapers, a middle schooler, and a high schooler. Since then, two more littles have been added to our family...and a daughter in law AND a grandson. Whew! It sounds and has been overwhelming at times. Actually...to be honest...alot of the time. The laundry is NEVER done....food is consumed at rapid-fire pace, someone is always crying....someone is frequently in need of medical assistance (or thinks they are in need of..I never knew we would own part of the Barbie Band-aid company:))...and it's pretty darn exhausting. There are days when I ask myself...."Are we sure we are doing the right thing? Will I ever sleep again? Am I being a good mom or do they just see me going thru the motions? Am I impacting their lives the way God intended? Are they getting the school they need? And an even heavier weight...of how do I stretch myself as a mom to meet everyone's needs? This Mom cannot be stretched any further!!", was my cry many nights. One of our sweeties battles severe asthma and many nights thru the years we've spent many 'all-nighters' in which the mommy (me) holds sick child in upright position all night dispensing breathing meds just so princess can take the smallest breath. We watched the sunrise...only to have the mommy (me) turn around and begin her day with the others just waking from a 'restful' nights sleep.The vision we've had as parents has remained intact but the reality of the day to day is wearing to our frail human frames. Motherhood is hard. No one ever promised an easy road and it's easy to allow thoughts of self-pity to enter one's thoughts. For me, the battle is even harder when fatigue is a factor. HOWEVER....this past week, I've been revisiting some of my favorite memories...and why we do what we do in the first place. I was re-reading one of my earthly hero's writings and came across this...Not only is God's grace sufficient for every child and season....His mercies are new every single morning. He had a plan for each of our children before I was even in the picture. That's comforting and encouraging as the daily grind can be...well...grinding. God freshly reminded me that He understands. He is right here with me in each of those moments of 'Now what?' Here's what I found this week that made every moment so worth it.....A gentle reminder that everything I do is for the Audience of One....and the privilege of being called 'Mommy' to those He has given me.


Ps. 45:1- My work is for a King.

What is your work? To help sick people or little people, or tiresome people? To cook and clean, to make and mend, to work in office or shop or factory? To do the hundreds of odds and ends that every day brings?
Does the whisper ever come to you, "What is the use?" If it does, let these words answer it. MY WORK IS FOR A KING.

For the quiet joy of duty,
Praise, praise I sing,
For the commonplace and lowly,
Set with pleasure high and holy,
In each unromantic thing,
Praise, praise to Thee, my King.

By Amy Carmichael....Whispers of His Power

Simple I know....but profound. There's so much that's commonplace in the life of a mom...but in those moments there is the pleasure of God. My heart is again filled with a quiet peace in the midst of life's craziness that He intends for us to have. I hope this blesses each of you....and Happy Mother's Day!! Enjoy those children He gave you!

2 comments:

The Brown Family said...

Amen my friend! Thank you for the Truth we all need to hear!

Love you and Happy Mother's Day!!

Boiler Girl said...

Thank you for the fresh reminder!!! It's all too easy to forget what an amazing stewardship that has been given. Hope you had a great Mommy's Day!!