Thursday, October 2, 2008

I Don't Normally Get Excited About Things Like This...


Everything here was between $1 and $2 after coupons. Many of these items retail for around $5.99!

Everything here ended up between $.01 and .99. The Fantastik was .23! And the shout was .79. The body wash was was $.17!

Again...between $.01 and .99. The toothpastes were .50 each. A pack of 12 razors was .98.

All these items were FREE!!


But the thrill of the chase sure is fun! I know many of you out there are doing a version of The Grocery Game. Being a marketing major I LOVE figuring out how and why companies market products the way they do...then I find it fascinating finding a way to 'beat em' at their own game. From a personal standpoint I refuse to pay money for the grocery game. It's something I simply cannot do as a personal conviction ...but if you do please, please don't take this personally. I simply think that I can do the research myself and do it as well or better... and have been for a few months now. For me and this group of girlies managing our grocery $$ is a stewardship issue and a great way to let those $$ saved go to something else:) Ok, so here's what I did today. K-Mart announced their double coupon days in our area. This is a big deal because rarely around here do you see double coupons offered anywhere. So today I tried a little experiment. I tucked a $20 bill in my wallet and set out for our local K-Mart to see how far that $20 would take me. Now, I'm not a big K-Mart fan, and I haven't been in one in years. Point 2. I took 78 (used 23)coupons because I didn't have any idea what products they carried these days...but assumed it was close to Wal-mart which I frequent.Point 3...I only buy what we will use in a reasonable amount of time (I don't believe in hoarding) and refuse to get something just because it's a 'deal'. So... in I went...armed and dangerous....with calculator in hand. And here's what I came out with for my $20. I actually ended up spending $23.85. If you know your retail prices....you should be able to add some of these items and know what a deal this was even from a discounter like K-mart. I'd love to hear from you ...both those I know and those I don't... about how you are saving amist rising grocery prices and your tips for making it 'work'!! For me...this is really fun and pretty rewarding when you can 'steal a deal' these days!!

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Well, I'm somewhat of a "newbie" at this grocery game. Only been doing it for a few months. However, I'm like you in that I haven't been paying for the grocery game, I just do my own thing. One thing I look at closely is the CVS ads. For example, I like when you can buy something for $4.99 use a coupon and get $4.99 back in extra bucks! Not only are you getting the product for free, when you use a coupon, you actually make money!

Anonymous said...

We may be able to take some of your work out of your grocery hunt for savings. Our FREE grocery savings site MyGroceryDeals.com is where you can look up local grocery sales by ZIP Code, make a list of the best deals (and maybe match them to your coupons) and head out to shop for them. We also have some coupons to add to the savings!

So, please visit soon and happy deal hunting!


MGD Cyndi

The Brown Family said...

I've heard about this but have never tried it. I am going to check it out!! Happy shopping!!