Wednesday, August 15, 2007

For the Intellectual Crowd :)

I've been trying to do this post for a while now. Life keeps getting in the way!:) This summer has been a true gift from God in that we've had some genuine time to focus thoughts and actually do some intense study and reading. Scott and I are both avid readers and have sought to instill that in all our children as well. Due to the busyness of our lives, we try to be purposeful with our time and not be frivolous with this precious gift God has given. Once used, you don't get it back !....So we choose to invest our time (hopefully) wisely to further His kingdom. "We have but so little time in this world." [quote by Jeremiah Burroughs]. I try to keep this thought ever before me as I plan out my days. Today is a list of the mainstream books we've been reading and why. For me, I try to always keep a Christian Doctrinal study going in addition to my regular quiet time...and then also pursue something secular that would benefit our family...whether that be cooking, schooling, discipline issues, adoption, etc. (yes, some do overlap :)) Here is this months secular selections we've been reading.

Scott's List-
1. Einstein by Walter Isaacson. Scott loves biographies...especially ones about minds that were in the forefront of ideas & visionaries of their day. This book is candy for my husband. It is not casual reading but digs deep into the Einstein brain thing. I prefer Baby Einstein myself :) Find both at your local bookstore :)

Cissy's List
1. Nurturing Adoptions by Deborah Gray. This is a brand new book out just this month and is a MUST READ for all those who have fostered/adopted or are considering it! I wish it had been out 6 years ago. It deals with the effects of trauma/neglect/disruptions from infancy on....and how the brain responds (excellent, excellent research and studies out now!) She discusses attachment issues, grief, prenatal exposures....and points out that many symptoms may not appear for years. I think we have a tendency to expect children to suddenly "bounce back" when placed in a loving, nurturing environment...and Ms. Gray points out that this is possible but rare...and shows how there can be ongoing symptom "clusters" for years to come.
"The children who are the focus of this book are unlike children who may have had just one overwhelming event occur in an otherwise advantaged childhood, in that they experience the complications associated with repeated relationship disruptions and attachment challenges interrelated with trauma." Deborah Gray
We have 3 adopted girls. One was in 6 (and that's just what was documented) homes in her first 7 months of life. We were her 7th and final placement. One daughter was placed in our arms at birth...and one was in orphanage care for her first 11 months. All three were in compromised prenatal conditions. This book helps take the torn fragments of little lives and piece them together scientifically with the newest information to help us along this miracle of adoption journey we are undertaking. Highly recommended!

2. China Ghosts by Jeff Gammage. This is a mainstream book available at any bookstore and is also new. Jeff is a reporter for a Philadelphia newspaper and "just happened" to use the same agency we did. Anyway, this is his tale of adopting his two girls from China. Although I do NOT agree with his personal beliefs...let's just leave it at that :) I will say his writing style, descriptions, and experiences are a great read. He tells you through print what I wish we could describe to you about our journey. After all, he's a professional writer....I'm not. Much, much is the same in thought and action, and their experiences are not unlike our own. He made me want to go back!!!!

More to follow :)

3 comments:

Katherine Peschau said...

I remember you telling me about the book "China's ghost." I want to borrow it after your done if that is ok? I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow!

Tammy said...

I'm encouraged as I read how you make it a priority to read with such a full schedule. Your dedication in all areas is a direct reflection of your love for the Savior.

Jason said...

Dad's a nerd.