Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Just had to share!



I'm saving my sentimental post for actual Mother's Day. This one leans toward the humorous side....as we've found many times laughter gets us through the day! After each of our adoptions (3 of them) we've found it really takes a good year for that child to attach completely and for routines to stabilize (This is when being married to the doctor comes in handy cause he knows what to watch for!). Each of our daughters has come to us from very different circumstances and histories. One daughter has a history of severe neglect, one we received at birth, and one was in an orphanage. I purposefully did not commit myself to anything that I did not "have" to do (even sometimes saying no to the fun stuff:)) so that during "her" bonding year she would know beyond the shadow of a doubt that this was her mom (after all..they'd never had one)...who would be there no matter what....would be the stable force in her life....and unconditionally love her no matter what the day brought. I have to say this last year was an "awesome blur of chaos" ...in which we literally haven't sat down, and we wouldn't trade a minute of it back! It has been the hardest year for me I've ever had...yet by far the most rewarding. Many times the hard road is the road leading to the greatest treasure! We firmly believe that! We've had people honor us with gracious words expressing their thanks for being able to see the heart of God touching these girls lives.......and we've had friends say "I break out in a cold sweat just thinking about doing what you are doing!:)" We know what we are called to do isn't what all are called to. We're very comfortable with that. I now feel like I'm coming out of my "fog". Our girls are thriving, and once again I'm getting organized?!....even though you can count on someone being up in the night still. We can feel God's grace upon us with each new day.
So...knowing that, I got an email this week from an amazing woman that became a good friend while we were in China. She had 2 children at home....adopted her 3rd from the same orphanage as Katie, and when she returned home....became pregnant. She is awaiting the arrival of her 4th after only being home with her China Doll a year. Wonder woman!! My only regret is that she doesn't live closer! (she's in Texas)The email she sent describes MY YEAR in detail.....through humor. If you want to know what a typical VanLue day has been this past year with a 1(with attachment issues), 4, 5(Sensory Processing Child), yr. old and a new grandson, read on. The actual details may be a little different (think homeschooling thrown in there too:)...but you'll get the idea. We've been juggling many balls and spinning many plates this year! Tori, you read my mail!!!!

Recently, I was diagnosed with C. A. A. D. D. - Child Activated Attention
Deficit Disorder.

This is how it manifests:

I decide to do the laundry. As I start toward the laundry room, I notice
that there are cheerios all over the floor and my car keys are in the cereal
bowl. I decide to pick up the cheerios before I do the laundry. I lay my car
keys down on the counter, put the cheerios in the trash can under the
counter, and notice that the trash can is full. So, I decide to take out the
trash. But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take
out the trash I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my checkbook off the table, and see that there is only one check
left, my extra checks are in my desk in the office/playroom, so I go to my
desk where I find a sippy cup full of juice.

I'm going to look for my checks, but first I decide I should put sippy cup
in the refrigerator to keep it cold. As I head toward the kitchen with the
sippy cup, a vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye --they need to be
watered.

I set the sippy cup on the counter, and I discover baby wipes that I've been
searching for all morning. I decide I better put them back in the bathroom,
but first I'm going to water the flowers.

I set the wipes back down, fill a container with water and suddenly I spot
the TV remote, one of the kids left it on the kitchen table. I realize that
after school when they go to watch TV, I will be looking for the remote as
they fight over who lost it, but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen
table, so I decide to put it back in the den where belongs, but first I'll
water the flowers.

I splash some water on the flowers, but most of it spills on the floor. So,
I set the remote back down, get some paper towels and wipe up the spill.

Then I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do. At
the end of the day: the laundry isn't washed, the bills aren't paid, there
is a warm cup of juice sitting on the counter, the flowers aren't watered,
there is still only one check in my checkbook, I can't find the remote, I
can't find the wipes, and I don' t remember what I did with the car keys.

Then when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I'm really baffled
because I know I was busy all day long, and I'm really tired.

I realize this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for it,
but first I'll check my e-mail. Do me a favor, will you? Forward this
message, because I don't remember to whom it has been sent. Don't laugh --
if this isn't you yet, your day is coming.

A big thanks to VICTORIA TOUCHETTE for bring our family many laughs this week. I wondered where my year went and now I know. Enjoy everyone! Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

Medana22 said...

I love it! The kids had fun, Colin and Lauren took a 2 hour nap:)