Thursday, August 6, 2009

Daughter or Friend...or Both??

A funny story emerged at the grocery store the other day. I had all 3 little girls with me and they were being their normal chatty, giggly, overly-crazy selves:) I sent their cute little bums to perch on a bench near the check out so I could finish and make a hasty exit. The cashier heard me telling them to 'sit and wait' and made the comment...." Oh how nice that your DAUGHTER (emphasis minie) was able to bring her friends to shop with you today." This caught me quite off guard...as one little was now climbing OVER the bench....so I must have looked dumbfounded...but I simply replied..."Those girls??" "Yes" , said the cashier..."Well, they're sisters", I responded. "They're ALL my daughters." (said with a giant smile on my part).

"Ohhhhhhhhhh"...said the cashier. "Wow. That's nice. (Boy you could see those wheels turning in her head!!)

Miss Cashier never said which daughter she thought was 'mine' and I never asked. Adoption transcends culture, ethnic background, hair, eye and skin color....very simply..I don't even think about the fact of how different they look from each other anymore. Cashier lady apparently thought as I'm sure many do that I run a daycare :( or had brought companions along for the day! At this point...I wished I'd had Cade too so I could add that story to the mix:) Another funny story along those lines.....coming soon.

2 comments:

Medana22 said...

I am glad they are all your daughters! And even more estatic that they are God's! Love you!

Womandriver2@gmail.com said...

Cute. I have three kids and hubby had two he was raising when we married. We have raised them as "ours" ever since. My hubby is 8 years older so I have a step daughter that is five years older than my oldest. We just had our first (and last) "ours" baby. (a surprise). I have fun when I am out explaining that this one is a grandchild and this one is a son and the teenager pushing the cart is also a son... really confuses ppl!