Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Destiny Foundation's Annual Founder's Breakfast:)

"When You Walk With Jesus You End Up With the Poor"




Last Wednesday we had the opportunity to participate in The Destiny Foundation's Annual Founder's Breakfast in downtown Orlando, run by Scott and Tammi George.(FYI, Tammi is my childhood BF:)) Yes...I don't get up this early for too many people:) but it was so worth it!! As I've said before, Scott is the Medical Director of Destiny and also serves on the board. The Destiny motto is "giving not just a hand out...but a hand up." Their goal is to service the working poor in Orlando in medical, food, and job assistance not just once...but ongoing as people get on their feet. A large majority of those they serve are working, single moms. We heard testimony after testimony that brought tears to our eyes of those that have been helped this last year. One mom had 3 small children and had been physically abused by ?? and had no one else in this world to help her. She spoke of coming in to Destiny....getting food, medical care, and help in finding a day care for her children so she could return to work. As I cried from my seat....I realized how trivial my trials are compared to hers. My own husband was hit by a car on April 29 of this year....and as I listened this past Wednesday to testimonies from these single moms...I again became acutely aware of how if it were not for God's mercy and intervention on that day in April...I could be one of these single moms struggling to meet the needs of 3 little girls and also be the breadwinner. I identify with these women in ways now I never could before. Scott serves in a free clinic run once a month on the Destiny property and comes home with story after story not unlike the previous one. He told me that to volunteer his time for a few hours once a month is really no sacrifice, but to those who come into the clinic for help....that visit with a doctor is everything to them. How we take for granted the opportunities we have in this affluent society...yet if we only look around we will encounter many, many out there who are in desperate need of both a savior...and tangible help. If you want to read more about The Destiny Foundation...and I highly, highly recommend that you do:) you can go here . Take a moment and read about the incredible work they're doing on our own city streets and pray for it to continue, and for new opportunities to develop!! Much is happening!:)

No comments: