Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Leni Update...



"It's all about knowing God is for you and not against you-even in suffering. That's how grace becomes visible." Joni Eareckson.

I've had several inquiries about how our Leni's doing so.....here you go. In a nutshell...much, much better...but SLLLLOOOOWWWW. Asthma is a funny animal and can turn on a dime. About the time you figure out what the triggers are...there comes a turn in the road and another issue flares up. We're used to having a rough February....and a rough May, and somewhat of a rough September. This episode totally caught us off guard and was very scary. A week after our hospital visit....our lungs are still struggling but not as critical. We do routine lung function testing and had just recently passed at the beginning of the month with flying colors. Her levels should be around 283.....in the hospital they were below 100...and are now, a week later back up between 125 -150. Progress...but not great. That means weak muscles, weak brain functioning, and overall fatigue. On top of that we've had several side effects from the meds this time that we hadn't counted on. Bleah. We're still on a nebulizer 1.5 hours a day. That really cuts into your scheduling:) and we're having to be very careful about secondary infections. It is hard, it is time consuming, you get plain old weary from being up all night but it is truly a privilege to care for this child knowing God has time and time again spared her but has/is also allowing her to endure sufferings that would challenge the strongest among us.

All that to say....her attitude is magnificent! This child is so used to not feeling good that to be even somewhat better is sending her to the moon. She's the most amazing display of grace while being chronically sick most of her life that I can think of! So...thank you for your prayers....thank you for your kind words and concern. No question God's hand is and always has been on this child. She's taught me more about how to live by God's grace in her short 8 years than I had ever learned before. I think anyone that has a child with a SN can and will attest to that. To top it off.....this is only one of the issues that we're working through medically with this sweet girl. I've said it before and I'll say it again....I want to be like Leni when I grow up. More soon!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Cissy,

You life and the way you are constantly pointing others and yourself, and your family to God through your trials is amazing! And even though i have not spent alot of time with you, i have learned so much from you, and when i am tempted to give into my weariness i am encouraged not to by your example and all you and your family goes through. My lack of sleep and tiredness is nothing in comparison. When my kids get better (stomach flu left overs) we want to come over and play. love you

Rachel

Tammy said...

Leni is a trooper. And, I think we can all learn a thing or two from her example. I'm inspired and provoked by your example as well!

Tammy said...

OOPS! I thinked I commented under Erika's account!

The Brown Family said...

Thank you Lord for what You're working in and thru Leni. She is a gift to us all!! I amen what Rachel said...we are learning a lot about the character of God thru you Cissy. Thank you for portraying Him so beautifully!! Love you :)